Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

ON THE GREEN

Message From Rosemary

Thank you to all who contributed to the lovely bouquet of flowers that Keith kindly delivered to me on Saturday evening.

Your gesture was much appreciated but it has been my privilege to be part of such a lovely group of people. You have all been so friendly and encouraging to each other that it is me who feels honoured to have been part of the chummy sessions.

I was so sorry not to have been with you on Saturday afternoon but Covid prevented my attendance. I hope you all enjoyed the afternoon and showed off your skills in a 'real' game and you got to appreciate all the fun and friendship that bowls can offer.

Kindest regards Rosemary 

History of the OK TROPHY 

The 'OK Trophy' was born in 2003.

As Fixtures Secretary I had already instigated 4 annual fixtures with Keyworth - Home and Away on Thursdays and Saturdays.

We had a very friendly and competitive relationship and, as it was my Presidents year, I thought it would add spice to the Fixtures if we had something to play for.

I had built up a good rapport with the Keyworth President - John Cowley - who sadly is no longer with us, and it was decided between the 2 of us to inaugurate a Trophy to play for.

It was decided that a cut glass vase would be appropriate and the 'OK TROPHY' was born, paid for 50/50 by the 2 Clubs.

These Fixtures became extremely popular and very keenly contested.

This year would have been the 20th year the 'Trophy' would have been played for - if Covid hadn't intervened and taken away the Fixtures in 2020 and 2021.

For 15 years things went along smoothly with Oakham leading 9 - 6 inthe matches.

Unfortunately in 2018 Keyworth decided to drop the Thursday fixtures as they clashed with their Nottingham League commitments.

This was a great shame with us now playing only in the 2 Saturday fixtures in our last 3  years of competition.

In the 3 years when we have only played 2 matches per season Oakham have won twice and Keyworth once making the current score for the 18 years of matches 11 - 7 to Oakham 

However the competition for the 'Trophy' remains strong,and hard fought over, as shown this year with Oakham winning by the narrow margin of 16 shots.  

Long may the OK Trophy continue to flourish.

Here are the results from the start: 

4 matches per season

2003  Oakham       +52 shots

2004  Keyworth     +50    "

2005  Keyworth      +22   "

2006  Oakham       +29    "  

2007  Oakham       +122  "

2008  Keyworth      +18    "

2009  Keyworth      +43    "

2010  Oakham        +16   "

2011  Keyworth       +26   "

2012  Keyworth       +13   "